Kids’ immune systems work the same way that adults do. The only difference is that our immune systems have quite a few years of experience, exposure and information built up about how to fight off pathogens. That, paired with the endless array of potential germs they encounter—from playgrounds to doctor’s offices—means our littlest ones are often at a higher risk than we are of getting sick.
Boosting Your Child’s Immune System
Since our kiddos’ immune system fights off germs and viruses the same way that ours do, it makes sense that helping to boost their immunity is also a pretty similar process. Here are the basics of building a strong immune system for your littles:
- Serve up colorful fruits and veggies. Carrots, green beans, oranges and strawberries all contain carotenoids, which are immunity-boosting phytonutrients that may increase the body’s production of infection-fighting white blood cells.
- Give them a good gut. Since the majority of the body’s immune system resides in the gut, you can imagine that gut health is an important part of staying healthy. Improve gut health by serving plenty of fiber-rich foods like veggies and whole grains, as well as prebiotic and probiotic foods like bananas (prebiotics) and yogurt (probiotics).
- Build immunity from A to Zinc. Zinc is one of the most important minerals to help a kid’s immune system. Chicken, turkey, red meat and oysters are good sources, along with beans and nuts on the plant-based side.
- Create a healthy sleep routine. Sleep deprivation can make us more susceptible to illness by reducing the number of immune system cells that attack microbes. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that kids ages 6-12 get nine to 12 hours a night and teenagers ages 13-18 get eight to 10 hours a night.
- Exercise as a family. Regular moderate activity benefits the immune system by increasing the number of infection-fighting cells in our bodies. To get your kids into a lifelong exercise habit, plan activities you can do together like bike riding, hiking, basketball or tennis.
Get an Extra Boost with Vyral Defense Kids Formula
Focusing on building your child’s immunity through the steps outlined above will build a solid foundation for good health. But sometimes, you need an extra boost—like leading up to the start of the school year, during cold and flu season or in preparation for airline or mass transit travel. And when you do choose to add in that layer of extra protection, we know you want to make sure you’re giving only the best ingredients to your family.
That’s why Vyral Defense is all natural. That’s right—no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. In fact, some of our most important ingredients are plant-based too, like BetaVia™ Complete, which is a beta glucan that comes from algae, Sensoril® Ashwagandha, which comes from the roots and leaves of the Withania somnifera plant, and beetroot, which is used for natural color.
Our kid’s formula also contains zinc, which helps the body fight off invading bacteria and viruses, vitamin D3, which helps boost the production of immune cells, magnesium, which helps activate the vitamin D in your body and selenium, which helps lower oxidative stress in your body, which in turn reduces inflammation and enhances immunity. (Psst…Vyral Defense isn’t just for kids! Check out our whole line of immune boosting products.)
So when you need an extra hand to keep your kiddos healthy, make sure you have a stash of Vyral Defense at the ready!